Skip to content

Abe ‘speechless’ after video claims IS hostage dead

Image obtained from SITE on Saturday shows Japanese hostage Kenji Goto holding a photograph allegedly showing Haruna Yukawa's slain body, with an audio recording in which Goto spoke of the IS group demand for a prisoner exchange
Image obtained from SITE on Saturday shows Japanese hostage Kenji Goto holding a photograph allegedly showing Haruna Yukawa's slain body, with an audio recording in which Goto spoke of the IS group demand for a prisoner exchange
AP, Tokyo :
Japan’s prime minister said Sunday he was “speechless” after an online video purportedly showed that one of two Japanese hostages of the extremist Islamic State group had been killed, and he demanded the release of the other.
Shinzo Abe told Japanese broadcaster NHK that the video was likely authentic, though he said the government is still reviewing it. Abe offered condolences to the family and friends of Haruna Yukawa, a 42-year-old adventurer taken hostage in Syria last year.
He declined to comment on the message in the latest video, which demanded a prisoner exchange for the other hostage, journalist Kenji Goto. He said only that the government was still working on the situation, and reiterated that Japan condemns terrorism.
“I am left speechless,” he said, stressing he wants Goto released unharmed. “We strongly and totally criticize such acts.”
Yukawa’s father, Shoichi, said he hoped “deep in his heart” that the news of his son’s killing was not true.
“If I am ever reunited with him, I just want to give him a big hug,” he told a small group of journalists invited into his house.
President Barack Obama condemned what he called “the brutal murder” of Yukawa, saying in a statement that the United States stands by Japan and calling for Goto’s release.
The Associated Press could not verify the contents of the message, which varied greatly from previous videos released by the Islamic State group, which now holds a third of both Syria and Iraq.
The Islamic State group had threatened on Tuesday to behead the men within 72 hours unless it received a $200 million ransom. Kyodo News agency reported that Saturday’s video was emailed to Goto’s wife.
Patrick Ventrell, a spokesman for the White House National Security Council, said U.S. intelligence officials were also working to confirm whether it was authentic.
Abe said after a Cabinet meeting late Saturday that the government of Japan will not succumb to terrorism and will continue to cooperate with the international community in the fight against terrorism.
Japanese diplomats left Syria as the civil war there escalated, compounding the difficulty of reaching the militants holding the hostages.
Abe spoke by phone with Jordanian King Abdullah II on Saturday, the state-run Petra news agency reported, without elaborating on what they discussed. He also called the two hostages’ families.
Goto’s mother, Junko Ishido, told NHK that in the purported message her son “seemed to be taking seriously what may be happening to him as well.”
“I’m petrified,” Ishido said. “He has children. I’m praying he will return soon, and that’s all I want.”
But Ishido also was skeptical about the voice claiming to be Goto. “Kenji’s English is very good. He should sound more fluent,” she said.
Japanese government spokesman Yoshihide Suga said the audio was still being studied, but there was no reason to deny the authenticity of the video.