Skip to content

Measles outbreak puts focus on breastfeeding

A lack of exclusive breastfeeding in the first six months of life was recorded among 82 per cent of children who died after contracting measles, according to a study by icddr,b and Bangladesh Shishu Hospital and Institute (BSHI), highlighting the heightened vulnerability of infants during the country’s ongoing outbreak.

The findings suggest a possible association between inadequate exclusive breastfeeding and severe measles, particularly among babies and very young children, although researchers said the data point to a link rather than establishing breastfeeding as the sole cause of severe illness or death.

The study findings were presented at a meeting on measles research at the BSHI auditorium in the capital on Wednesday.

Health and Family Welfare State Minister MA Muhit, who attended the meeting as chief guest, said Bangladesh could require another two to three months to bring the outbreak under control and improve patient management.

“We have to work within this period, reduce the number of deaths and ensure better management,” he said.

Muhit said a longstanding health crisis could not be resolved in a single day or within a week.
Infants face higher measles risk

The study found that 43 per cent of children admitted to hospitals with measles were aged between three and nine months, indicating a particularly high risk among very young children during the current outbreak.

Overall, 38 per cent of children admitted with measles had not been exclusively breastfed during their first six months.

Among children who died, however, the proportion was substantially higher, with 82 per cent having not received exclusive breastfeeding during their first six months.

Researchers said the finding points to a possible relationship between the absence of exclusive breastfeeding and the severity of measles, especially among infants and young children.

The study also examined the vaccination status of affected children.

It found that 97.3 per cent of children under nine months of age who were not yet eligible for routine measles vaccination had been diagnosed with measles.

Among children who were old enough to receive the vaccine but had not received even a single dose, 97 per cent were diagnosed with the disease.

Government plans to expand child healthcare
Muhit said children’s healthcare remained a top priority for the government.

He said five new, fully equipped children’s hospitals in five divisional cities were expected to become operational within the next two to three months.

The government would also recruit 5,000 doctors, 1,000 nurses and 100,000 field-level workers to address shortages of healthcare personnel, he said.

According to Muhit, around 80 per cent of Bangladesh’s population depends on government health services. He acknowledged, however, that the public healthcare system has faced longstanding problems stemming from poor management, corruption and inadequate attention.

He also noted that Bangladesh has numerous private hospitals and diagnostic centres, but concerns remain over the quality of services and the prioritisation of profit over proper patient care.

Muhit said independent institutions such as Bangladesh Shishu Hospital, Holy Family and BIRDEM had helped maintain a balance between the public and private healthcare sectors.

He said the government would continue efforts to prevent measles-related deaths, improve healthcare facilities and strengthen patient management until the outbreak is brought under control.