Forces Deployed: Govt hopeful of improved security
Staff Reporter :
The interim government on Thursday expressed cautious optimism about the security situation ahead of the upcoming national elections, saying conditions are expected to improve further with the gradual deployment of security forces across the country.
Chief Adviser’s Press Secretary Shafiqul Alam voiced the hope while briefing journalists at the Foreign Service Academy in Dhaka, following a meeting of the Council of Advisers chaired by Chief Adviser Professor Muhammad Yunus.
“We hope the coming days will be much better. With the gradual deployment of security forces, the situation will further improve, In Sha Allah,” Alam said in response to a question.
Chief Adviser’s Deputy Press Secretary Mohammad Abul Kalam Azad Majumder, Senior Assistant Press Secretary Foyez Ahammad and Assistant Press Secretary Shuchismita Tithi were also present at the briefing.
Campaign environment and casualty figures
Alam said political parties have so far demonstrated restraint and tolerance during the election campaign, which formally began on January 22.
Referring to police data, he said four people have been killed since campaigning started. While cautioning that it was still too early to draw firm conclusions with two weeks remaining before polling, he compared the figure with past elections.
“If you compare this with previous elections, you will see that 115 people were killed before the January 5 election in 2014,” he said.
“In that reality, we believe that there is still a sufficient level of tolerance among the political parties. They are campaigning in a good manner and they are abiding by electoral laws and following the code of conduct.”
He acknowledged, however, that “a few isolated incidents” have taken place.
Sherpur killing under investigation
Addressing Wednesday’s violent incident in Sherpur, where a Jamaat-e-Islami leader was killed, Deputy Press Secretary Mohammad Abul Kalam Azad Majumder said the government had already issued a statement condemning the attack.
He said the police administration had been instructed to take immediate action, conduct a thorough investigation, identify those responsible and arrest them as quickly as possible.
Law enforcement agencies are currently analysing video footage of the incident, along with other available information and witness testimony, to accurately determine those involved, Azad said, adding that once identified, the perpetrators would be brought to justice.
The government’s comments come as campaigning intensifies nationwide amid heightened attention to election security, enforcement of the code of conduct and the overall credibility of the electoral process in the run-up to polling day.
