Skip to content

30, including OC hurt in Sylhet Waqf Estate clash

At least 30 people, including the officer-in-charge (OC) of Moglabazar Police Station, were injured in a clash between two groups over control of the Hazrat Shah Tayyab Chhaylani (RA) Shrine Waqf Estate, mosque and 35-40 shop quotas in Sylhet.

The clash took place around 1pm on Friday in front of the Hazrat Shah Tayyab Chhaylani (RA) Jame Masjid and Eidgah in Silam Chowk Bazar under Moglabazar police station in South Surma upazila.

According to police, the two groups had been engaged in a long-running dispute over the management and control of the Waqf estate.

On Friday, members of both groups gathered at the mosque to offer prayers. A confrontation reportedly broke out outside the mosque over control of the Waqf estate and the shop quotas.

The dispute soon escalated into a violent clash, with the groups allegedly throwing bricks and using locally available weapons.

Police rushed to the scene after receiving reports of the clash. Seven police officers, including Moglabazar OC Md Monir Hossain, were injured during the attacks and counter-attacks.

Another 25-30 people from both sides were also injured. Local leaders and elders, along with police, later intervened and brought the situation under control. Traffic on the Chandipul-Balaganj road was temporarily halted during the clash.

The injured include Sheikhpara village elder and mosque motawalli Fazlu Mia, Shuaib Ahmed, Ariful Haque Roni, Latifur Rahman Mehdi, Shah Abdul Mannan, Shah Abul and Shah Sumon.

They are receiving treatment at South Surma Upazila Health Complex and Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College Hospital.

Police have been deployed in the area to prevent further violence and maintain order.
Dispute over Waqf committee

The dispute over the management of the Hazrat Shah Tayyab Chhaylani (RA) Shrine Waqf Estate (EC No. 12735) dates back several months.

On July 29, the Administrator of the Bangladesh Waqf Administration under the Ministry of Religious Affairs approved a nine-member management committee for the estate. Sylhet-3 constituency MP Mohammad Abdul Malik was appointed president, while the South Surma Upazila Nirbahi Officer was named vice-president and Fazlu Mia was appointed motawalli.

Abed Raja and Ahmadur Rahman Sadek were appointed joint motawallis, while Moazzem Hossain Loni, Lutfur Rahman Babu, Abdul Matin Shahin and Abdus Samad were named members.

Shah Abdul Mannan later filed a writ petition (No. 10767/2026) with the High Court challenging the order.

On August 16, a High Court Division bench comprising Justice Md Habibul Gani and Justice Syed Md Tajrul Hossain heard the petition and upheld the committee approved by the Waqf Administrator.

However, the court temporarily suspended Fazlu Mia’s activities as motawalli and directed Abed Raja to take charge of the shrine and mosque.

The clash reportedly erupted on Friday when supporters of Abed Raja attempted to take control of the Waqf estate, mosque and shop quotas.

Moglabazar OC Md Monir Hossain said additional police were deployed immediately after the incident to restore order.

“Peace has now been restored in the area,” he said, adding that police were investigating the incident and working to identify those involved in the violence.

Sylhet Bureau
At least 30 people, including the officer-in-charge (OC) of Moglabazar Police Station, were injured in a clash between two groups over control of the Hazrat Shah Tayyab Chhaylani (RA) Shrine Waqf Estate, mosque and 35-40 shop quotas in Sylhet.

The clash took place around 1pm on Friday (August 21) in front of the Hazrat Shah Tayyab Chhaylani (RA) Jame Masjid and Eidgah in Silam Chowk Bazar under Moglabazar police station in South Surma upazila.

According to police, the two groups had been engaged in a long-running dispute over the management and control of the Waqf estate.

On Friday, members of both groups gathered at the mosque to offer prayers. A confrontation reportedly broke out outside the mosque over control of the Waqf estate and the shop quotas. The dispute soon escalated into a violent clash, with the groups allegedly throwing bricks and using locally available weapons.

Police rushed to the scene after receiving reports of the clash. Seven police officers, including Moglabazar OC Md Monir Hossain, were injured during the attacks and counter-attacks.

Another 25-30 people from both sides were also injured. Local leaders and elders, along with police, later intervened and brought the situation under control. Traffic on the Chandipul-Balaganj road was temporarily halted during the clash.

The injured include Sheikhpara village elder and mosque motawalli Fazlu Mia, Shuaib Ahmed, Ariful Haque Roni, Latifur Rahman Mehdi, Shah Abdul Mannan, Shah Abul and Shah Sumon.

They are receiving treatment at South Surma Upazila Health Complex and Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College Hospital.

Police have been deployed in the area to prevent further violence and maintain order.
Dispute over Waqf committee
The dispute over the management of the Hazrat Shah Tayyab Chhaylani (RA) Shrine Waqf Estate (EC No. 12735) dates back several months.

On July 29, the Administrator of the Bangladesh Waqf Administration under the Ministry of Religious Affairs approved a nine-member management committee for the estate. Sylhet-3 constituency MP Mohammad Abdul Malik was appointed president, while the South Surma Upazila Nirbahi Officer was named vice-president and Fazlu Mia was appointed motawalli.

Abed Raja and Ahmadur Rahman Sadek were appointed joint motawallis, while Moazzem Hossain Loni, Lutfur Rahman Babu, Abdul Matin Shahin and Abdus Samad were named members.

Shah Abdul Mannan later filed a writ petition (No. 10767/2026) with the High Court challenging the order.

On August 16, a High Court Division bench comprising Justice Md Habibul Gani and Justice Syed Md Tajrul Hossain heard the petition and upheld the committee approved by the Waqf Administrator. However, the court temporarily suspended Fazlu Mia’s activities as motawalli and directed Abed Raja to take charge of the shrine and mosque.

The clash reportedly erupted on Friday when supporters of Abed Raja attempted to take control of the Waqf estate, mosque and shop quotas.

Moglabazar OC Md Monir Hossain said additional police were deployed immediately after the incident to restore order.

“Peace has now been restored in the area,” he said, adding that police were investigating the incident and working to identify those involved in the violence.