Touhid sees no security reason behind India’s recall of diplomats’ families
Staff Reporter :
Foreign Affairs Adviser Md Touhid Hossain on Wednesday said he finds no security-related reason behind India’s reported decision to recall family members of its diplomats from Bangladesh, stressing that the country’s overall situation does not indicate any threat to foreign officials or their relatives.
Speaking to journalists at the foreign ministry in the evening, Touhid said Bangladesh has not received any formal communication from New Delhi suggesting that Indian diplomats or their families face danger.
“We have not been told that they are in danger,” he said. “There is no situation here that would indicate any risk.”
Describing the move as India’s internal matter, Touhid noted that any country is free to decide whether its officials or their families should remain posted abroad. “They can ask their officials or families to leave at any time. It is entirely their internal matter,” he said.
When asked whether the withdrawal of diplomats’ family members signalled a security concern, the adviser said he did not see any such indication. “I do not understand what kind of signal this could be,” he added.
He reiterated that no incident had occurred in Bangladesh that could be interpreted as a threat to Indian diplomats or their families. “Perhaps they have some apprehension or want to convey a message, but I cannot identify any clear reason,” Touhid said.
Referring to the broader law-and-order environment, he said there had been no overall disruption. While acknowledging that minor scuffles were not uncommon during past election periods, he maintained that the current situation does not appear worse than before.
The adviser also addressed questions over Bangladesh’s recently signed government-to-government agreement with China on drone manufacturing, assembly and technology transfer, defending the deal as a sovereign decision guided by national interest.
“If Bangladesh decides to set up an industry or factory with assistance from another country, it will do so based on its own sovereign decision,” he said. “What others think does not matter.”
On concerns about possible election-related violence, Touhid said the government was not certain unrest would occur, but confirmed that the situation was being closely monitored.
“There is no indication at this point that would suggest a deterioration of the overall security situation,” he added.
