4 dead in Dhamrai gas leakage


Staff Reporter :
At least four members of a family sustained severe burn injuries when a gas leakage led to a massive explosion at a residence in Dhamrai, Dhaka, on Wednesday.

The incident took place on the ground floor of a four-story building in Ward No. 2 of the area around 3:30 a.m. on Wednesday.

The injured were identified as Nurul Islam Nannu Miya, 55, his wife Sufiya Begum, 50, their daughter Nishrat Jahan Sathi, 22, and their son Al Hadi Sohag, 18.

They are currently undergoing treatment at the Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery in Dhaka. All of the injured have sustained burn injuries in around 40% of their bodies, a doctor from the Sheikh Hasina National Burn and Plastic Surgery Unit has said.


Relatives of the injured said, “Sufiya went to the kitchen in the pre-dawn hours Wednesday to prepare Sehri meals for her family.

The entire residence was already filled with flammable gas, and as soon as Sufiya tried to turn on the stove, a major explosion occurred, injuring all four family members and damaging properties worth at least Tk 2 lakh.

A Dhamrai fire station official told the media that it was not clear whether leakage was in the gas pipeline or in a gas cylinder that caused the explosion. No exploded gas cylinder was found at the apartment.