Shibganj bridge construction stalls, thousands suffer
Construction of the Bir Muktijoddha Dr Moin Uddin Ahmed Montu Bridge over the Pagla River in Shibganj has remained stalled for months, causing severe hardship to around 350,000 people in six unions of the upazila.
The 172.3-metre bridge is being constructed at a cost of Tk 29.98 crore. Work began on November 15, 2023, following its inauguration on October 14 that year.
The project was scheduled for completion by November 14, 2026. However, around 40 percent of the bridge and its approach roads are still incomplete.
According to the authorities, construction has been hampered by the monsoon, flooding and delays in acquiring land belonging to around 35 households on both sides of the bridge.
The six unions Monakasha, Binodpur, Durlabhpur, Ujirpur, Panka and Shyampur-largely depend on the road connecting Shibganj Bazar with the Pagla River crossing.
The existing Bailey Bridge beside the construction site has also become a major source of public suffering. Built around four decades ago, the bridge has become narrow, damaged and risky.
Authorities have blocked heavy vehicles from using it for nearly three years by installing brick pillars at its entrance.
Durlabhpur Union Parishad Chairman Md Golam Azam said the administration had claimed that affected landowners would not receive compensation because they lacked proper documents.
However, the landowners maintained that they had valid documents.
“The prolonged dispute between the landowners and the administration is causing public suffering,” he said.
As a result, traders from Durlabhpur, Monakasha, Binodpur and neighbouring areas have to travel an additional 20-30 kilometres via the Kansat Bridge to transport goods. This has increased both transportation costs and travel risks.
The dilapidated Bailey Bridge also causes frequent traffic congestion, while small vehicles have to cross it at considerable risk. Repeated replacement of its steel decking has failed to resolve the problems.
Students, teachers, government employees and businesspeople also face difficulties reaching their destinations on time because of the congestion and poor condition of the bridge.
Local residents said construction work had initially faced objections over alleged irregularities. Following an investigation, the authorities reportedly addressed the issues. Work was later suspended after around 45 percent of the project had been completed due to heavy rainfall and flooding.
Construction resumed after the flood and continued until around 60 percent of the work was completed before being halted again over land acquisition and flood-related problems.
Shahin Ali, a grocery shop owner in Durlabhpur, said his shop was only three kilometres from Shibganj Bazar, but he had to travel about 30 kilometres to bring goods by truck through an alternative route.
“This is increasing my transportation costs,” he said.
Harun-ur-Rashid of Bakruli Bishwanathpur village in Binodpur Union said traffic congestion on the Bailey Bridge had caused him to miss important work in Chapainawabganj town.
Auto-rickshaw and Mahindra drivers Jasim and Abdur Rashid said the narrow and risky Bailey Bridge, coupled with the stalled construction of the new bridge, had made it increasingly difficult for them to operate their vehicles and support their families.
Shifat, a ninth-grade student of Shibganj Government Model High School, said accidents sometimes occurred when two auto-rickshaws attempted to cross the narrow, single-lane bridge.
“As a result, I often cannot attend my classes on time,” he said.
Affected landowners are also refusing to leave their homes without fair compensation. Sumaiya Khatun, one of the affected homeowners, said the administration had served her a notice about a year ago but had not discussed compensation for her land.
“We will not give up our only shelter under any circumstances,” she said.
Another homeowner who received an eviction notice said they would not leave unless they received fair compensation for the houses they had built with great difficulty.
Md Shahin Alam, manager of the bridge construction company, dismissed allegations that the contractor had abandoned the project.
“Some people are spreading rumours that the contractor has fled. The work is actually stalled due to flooding, rainfall and land acquisition issues,” he said.
He said the acquisition of land and eviction of houses on both sides of the bridge was under process. “The eviction process will be completed soon, and the bridge will be completed within the scheduled time,” he added.
Bridge contractor Abdul Mannan also denied allegations of negligence.
“We have not been negligent. Once the eviction issue is resolved and the monsoon is over, we will complete the bridge within the stipulated time,” he said.
Shibganj Upazila Engineer Md Sahinul Islam said work on the bridge’s central pier, which is one of its most important components, had been suspended due to the monsoon.
“Work on the approach roads on both sides could have been carried out during this period, but that is not possible because the land acquisition process has not yet been completed,” he said.
He said the land acquisition and eviction process was ongoing and expressed hope that it would be completed soon so that construction could resume and the bridge could be finished within the scheduled timeframe.
