Skip to content
Complaints Against BNP

Natore DC, 2 UNOs removed days later

The withdrawal of Natore Deputy Commissioner Asma Shaheen and two Upazila Nirbahi Officers shortly after complaints were filed against BNP leaders and activists over alleged attacks and vandalism at government offices has raised questions in the district.

The incidents took place on August 12, when BNP and affiliated organisations staged demonstrations at the UNO offices in Lalpur and Bagatipara, demanding cancellation of recruitment results for Family Card census data collectors and supervisors.

The protests were followed by allegations of attacks, vandalism, assault and obstruction of official duties.

Administrative officials from both upazilas submitted separate written complaints to police on August 17.

In Bagatipara, seven BNP and affiliated-organisation leaders were named along with 140 to 150 unidentified people. In Lalpur, 18 people were named along with another 60 to 70 unidentified individuals.

However, three days after the complaints were submitted, police had yet to register them as cases.

Lalpur administrative officer Masud Rana and Bagatipara administrative officer Shukur Ali, who filed the complaints, said the documents had been handed over to police and they were awaiting further action.

The officer-in-charge of Lalpur Police Station confirmed receiving the complaint but did not explain why a case had not been recorded. A sub-inspector at Bagatipara Police Station gave a similar response.

Natore Superintendent of Police Mohammad Shariful Haque said he had not been officially informed about the matter and had not made inquiries into it.

Meanwhile, the government withdrew DC Asma Shaheen and Lalpur UNO Mohammad Barkat Ullah on August 18, a day after the complaints were filed.

Shaheen was attached to the Ministry of Public Administration, while Barkat Ullah was transferred to the Rajshahi divisional commissioner’s office.

Bagatipara UNO Debashish Basak was also withdrawn the following day and attached to the Rajshahi divisional commissioner’s office.

The timing of the administrative changes has fuelled speculation over whether they were linked to the complaints.

However, the government orders did not mention any connection between the transfers and the alleged incidents.

Former DC Asma Shaheen said transfers were a normal part of government service and that she did not see any link between her transfer and the complaints.

Sushasoneer Jonno Nagorik (SUJON) Natore general secretary Bulbul Ahmed questioned the timing of the withdrawals, saying such actions could discourage field-level officials from taking legal steps over alleged wrongdoing.

Natore BNP member secretary Asaduzzaman Asad said the party had no objection to legal action against anyone found responsible for criminal activities.

However, he alleged that BNP leaders and activists had been broadly named in the complaints and claimed there was a conspiracy behind the allegations. He also denied any connection between the complaints and the transfers.

The developments have left two key questions unresolved: why police have yet to register cases over the complaints, and whether the withdrawal of the DC and two UNOs was connected to the alleged attacks.

So far, no official document or statement has established a direct link between the administrative changes and the complaints.