UN appeals for $710.5m as Rohingya crisis deepens
The United Nations and its humanitarian partners on Wednesday appealed for USD 710.5 million in international funding to address the urgent needs of Rohingya refugees living in camps in Cox’s Bazar and on Bhasan Char, warning that worsening conditions in Myanmar and shrinking global aid are pushing the crisis into a more dangerous phase.
The appeal, announced at the UN House in Dhaka on Wednesday, aims to support nearly 1.56 million people, including Rohingya refugees and vulnerable Bangladeshi host communities affected by the prolonged humanitarian crisis.
Senior representatives from UNHCR, WFP, UN Women and the Government of Bangladesh called for support for the Rohingya people.
Nearly a decade after fleeing persecution and violence in Myanmar, around 1.2 million Rohingya refugees are currently living in Bangladesh.
Humanitarian agencies said the situation has become increasingly fragile as conflict inside Myanmar’s Rakhine State continues to force more people across the border.
According to the UN, approximately 150,000 Rohingya newly arrived in Bangladesh since early 2024, adding further pressure on already overcrowded camps and overstretched humanitarian services.
The 2026 update of the Joint Response Plan (JRP) has been described as a “hyper-prioritised” response because of severe global funding shortages.
The new appeal is 26 per cent lower than the previous year’s requirement and covers only the most essential humanitarian services.
Of the total amount sought, USD 247.3 million has been allocated for food assistance, USD 128 million for shelter, USD 61.2 million for water, sanitation and hygiene services, USD 52.7 million for education, USD 49.9 million for health services and USD 35.1 million for livelihoods and skills development. Another USD 36.2 million has been earmarked to support Bangladeshi host communities.
UN agencies warned that without sustained international support, critical humanitarian gains made over the years could be reversed.
Kelly T. Clements, Deputy High Commissioner of the UN refugee agency UNHCR, said refugees needed opportunities to build skills and resilience amid declining global resources.
She said the humanitarian community remained committed to ensuring safety, dignity and care for Rohingya refugees until conditions in Myanmar allow their safe return.
Rania Dagash-Kamara, Assistant Executive Director of the World Food Programme, praised Bangladesh for hosting the displaced population despite mounting challenges and said donor support remained a lifeline for refugees.
She noted that humanitarian assistance alone could not resolve the crisis, adding that Rohingya refugees ultimately wanted to return to Myanmar voluntarily, safely and with dignity.
UN Women Deputy Executive Director Nyaradzayi Gumbonzvanda said women and girls in the camps continued to face heightened risks, including gender-based violence and exclusion, while funding cuts were affecting every aspect of life in the camps.
Humanitarian agencies said Rohingya refugees remain heavily dependent on aid as economic opportunities inside the camps remain extremely limited.
In 2025, around 35 per cent of refugee households relied entirely on humanitarian food assistance, while only 23 per cent had access to income through humanitarian cash-for-work programmes.
Many families, particularly new arrivals, women, older persons and people with disabilities, are facing growing hardship.
The UN also warned that the deteriorating situation has pushed more refugees towards dangerous sea journeys across the region.
Humanitarian officials said 2025 had become the deadliest year on record for such voyages. Last month, a boat carrying more than 270 people reportedly capsized, leaving only nine survivors.
The appeal was formally presented at the UN House in Dhaka by senior representatives from UNHCR, the World Food Programme, UN Women and the Government of Bangladesh, alongside acting UN Resident Coordinator Carol Flore-Smereczniak.
The response plan is backed by 98 humanitarian organisations, including 52 Bangladeshi groups.
The announcement followed a four-day joint donor mission to Cox’s Bazar and Dhaka involving representatives from Australia, Canada, the European Union, France, the Netherlands, Sweden and the United Kingdom.
Humanitarian agencies reiterated that the only durable solution to the Rohingya crisis is the voluntary, safe and sustainable repatriation of refugees to Myanmar.
Until conditions there improve, they said continued global solidarity remains essential to protect refugees and support Bangladesh in managing one of the world’s largest displacement crises.
