Tk531cr embezzlement: Warrants against ex-BB governor
Staff Reporter :
A Dhaka court has issued arrest warrants against former Bangladesh Bank Governor Atiur Rahman and 25 others in connection with the alleged embezzlement of about Tk531 crore in the name of AnonTex Group.
Dhaka Metropolitan Senior Special Judge Md Sabbir Faiz passed the order on January 15.
Confirming the development on Tuesday, Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) Public Prosecutor Mohammad Tarikul Islam told the media that former Janata Bank chairman Abul Barkat, one of the 26 accused named in the charge sheet, has already been arrested and is currently in jail.
He said five other accused had earlier obtained bail from the High Court but later went into hiding, leading the court to issue arrest warrants against them.
On February 20, 2024, ACC Deputy Director Nazmul Hossain filed a case against Abul Barkat and 22 others over the alleged embezzlement of Tk297 crore under the AnonTex Group.
According to the case statement, former governor Atiur Rahman and Abul Barkat, acting in collusion, facilitated fraudulent loans to 22 companies of the AnonTex Group through deception and forgery. The funds were allegedly misappropriated using various unethical means.
A charge sheet was submitted on October 20 the same year against 26 accused. It stated that the accused created false records through fraud and forgery to embezzle about Tk531.44 crore from Janata Bank, which, including interest, has now increased to around Tk1,130.19 crore.
However, the original FIR mentioned the embezzled amount as Tk297.38 crore.
Other accused in the case include former Bangladesh Bank Deputy Governor Abu Hena Mohammad Razee Hassan, former assistant director Mosammat Ismat Ara Begum, former Janata Bank director Jamal Uddin Ahmed, and former Janata Bank Managing Director and CEO Abdus Salam Azad.
