Skip to content

486 centres reported disturbances as voter claims fraud in Dhaka

 

Staff Reporter :

What began as an ordinary voting experience for a young elector in Dhaka-13 turned into a moment of disbelief on Thursday, when he was told that his vote in the 13th National Parliamentary Election and Referendum 2026 had already been cast by someone else.

Standing in line at Lalmatia Government Women’s College in Mohammadpur during what appeared to be a steady turnout, the voter confidently presented his serial number—retrieved through the Smart Election BD app.

A polling agent checked the list and delivered what he later described as “the dreaded words no voter should ever hear”: his vote had already been recorded.

Visibly unsettled, polling officials on the third floor of the centre rechecked their lists multiple times before confirming the same information.

According to them, the individual who had cast the vote presented matching identification documents and bore a close resemblance to the photograph on the voter’s National ID card, raising no immediate suspicion at the time.

The matter was referred to the presiding officer, who said he could not permit a second vote to be cast under the same serial number—even if the claimant’s identity appeared valid. When asked about possible remedies, the officer acknowledged a provision for a “tendered ballot.”

Under this process, the voter may complete a ballot in the usual manner, but instead of placing it in the ballot box, it is sealed in a separate envelope and preserved as a record of complaint. Such ballots are not included in the final count.

The voter opted to cast the tendered ballot, though he expressed frustration that it would have no impact on the official result.

He was not alone. A female voter at the same centre reportedly faced a similar situation.

Meanwhile, a male voter complained that although he had a valid serial number from the app and was assigned to the same centre as his two brothers—who voted without issue—his name did not appear on the printed lists.

His serial number corresponded to another individual’s name. The presiding officer photographed his National ID but was unable to provide an immediate solution.

The incidents in Dhaka-13 come amid broader reports of irregularities across the country.

According to data released by the Home Ministry’s Emergency Coordination Cell, as of 2:00pm on Thursday, disturbances had been reported at 486 polling centres nationwide.

The cell identified 59 instances of fraudulent voting and three cases of ballot boxes being snatched. Allegations of polling agents being expelled from centres were recorded at 14 locations.

Supporters of rival candidates reportedly clashed at 135 places. Six candidates were allegedly assaulted, while voters were obstructed from casting ballots in 18 locations. Four incidents of arson and 33 cases of negligence in election duties were also documented.

Separately, Jamaat-e-Islami lodged complaints with the Election Commission alleging irregularities at multiple centres in constituencies including Cumilla-8, Shariatpur-2, and Patuakhali-1. The party demanded suspension of voting at the affected centres and effective remedial measures.

On Thursday afternoon, a delegation from an 11-party alliance led by Jamaat met Chief Election Commissioner A.M.M. Nasir Uddin at the Election Commission headquarters.

Following the meeting, Jamaat Assistant Secretary General Moazzem Hossain Helal told reporters that a written complaint had been submitted, accompanied by links to over a hundred video clips purportedly documenting irregularities. He did not specify the exact number of centres involved.

Helal alleged that in Cumilla-8, party agents were expelled from at least 30 polling centres and claimed that the returning officer failed to take action despite being informed.

He further alleged violence in Noakhali-6 since Wednesday night, as well as problems in Jhalakathi and Shariatpur. He also claimed that the motorcade of AB Party Chairman Mojibur Rahman had been attacked.

The Election Commission has yet to issue a detailed response to the specific allegations. Voting concluded in the afternoon, and counting is now underway.

While authorities have described the overall process as largely peaceful, the complaints emerging from both voters and political parties have raised fresh questions about the integrity and management of the electoral process.