NCP alleges of violence, administrative bias ahead of elections
Staff Reporter :
The National Citizen Party (NCP) has expressed deep concern to the Election Commission over alleged violence, intimidation, and administrative bias ahead of the upcoming parliamentary election and referendum.
A delegation of the party met Chief Election Commissioner A M M Nasir Uddin at his office on Monday. Election Commissioner Md Anwarul Islam Sarkar and EC Senior Secretary Akhtar Ahmed were also present at the meeting held at the Election Commission building in Agargaon.
Representing the NCP were Joint Member Secretary Akram Hossain, Advocate Humaira Nur, and Central Election Management Committee member Ayman Rahat. Briefing reporters after the meeting, Ayman Rahat alleged that activists of the BNP and Awami League have carried out coordinated attacks on Jamaat-e-Islami and NCP supporters in different parts of the country.
Although cases have been filed, he claimed that no effective action has been taken by the administration, raising questions about neutrality.
He said attackers are openly claiming administrative backing, while local officials, including UNOs and OCs, are either inactive or merely transferred without meaningful consequences. As a result, a climate of fear is spreading nationwide.
Referring to an incident in Hatiya, Noakhali, on January 30, Rahat said BNP and Awami League activists launched armed attacks on NCP, Jamaat, and local residents during a ferry inauguration programme.
Despite video footage circulating on social media, no arrests have been made so far. He added that another attack occurred during a procession in the same area the following day.
The NCP also raised concerns over remarks attributed to senior BNP leaders, including claims that candidates were selected based on surveys conducted by police and intelligence agencies.
“If true”, Rahat said, “such statements seriously undermine the credibility of law enforcement and intelligence bodies.”
Issues related to referendum campaigning were also discussed. Rahat alleged that misleading propaganda against the “Yes” vote is confusing voters and urged the Election Commission to take action.
He said the commission gave assurances but stressed that visible and strict steps are needed to ensuring a free, fair, and credible election.
