Skip to content

July Movement: Six Khulna cases granted amnesty

Khulna Correspondent :

Six criminal cases filed in three police stations in Khulna in connection with last year’s July uprising have come under the government’s amnesty ordinance, which grants legal immunity and allows withdrawal of cases against participants of the movement.

Among the notable cases are the killing of police constable Suman Kumar Gharami, arson and looting at Bangladesh Betar Khulna centre, the district council building and the Khulna Press Club.

The ordinance provides exemption from criminal liability for acts committed during the political movement aimed at ending authoritarian rule and restoring democracy. It applies to incidents linked to political protests between July 1 and August 31, and authorises the withdrawal of related criminal cases.

The July movement initially erupted as a protest against the quota system in government jobs, later evolving into a mass movement demanding the fall of the government. Under the banner of the Anti-Discrimination Movement, areas including Shibbari, Zero Point, Khulna University, Gallamari and Sachibunia emerged as key centres of resistance.

To suppress the protests, the government deployed the army, paramilitary forces, RAB, navy, BGB and police. From August 4, however, the security forces began withdrawing. Protesters later hoisted the national flag at Shibbari and celebrated what they termed a victory.

During this period, several public and political establishments-including Bangladesh Betar Khulna, the district council, the press club, Awami League offices and Sheikh Bari-were set on fire. In a separate incident, Koyra Upazila Parishad Chairman Mohsin Reza was allegedly burnt to death.

One of the most high-profile cases involves the killing of Suman Kumar Gharami, 33, a bodyguard of a Khulna Metropolitan Police assistant commissioner.

He was killed on August 2 after the relaxation of the curfew. Gharami hailed from Kismat Malipatan village in Kachua upazila of Bagerhat.

Following the incident, SI Mostafa Saklain of Harintana Police Station filed multiple cases over attacks on police, the killing of a police member and arson targeting police installations. The cases named around 8,000 unidentified individuals as accused.

In another case, administrative officer Md Shah Alam lodged a general diary with Sonadanga Police Station on August 27 over arson and looting at Bangladesh Betar Khulna on August 5 and 6, claiming damages worth Tk 100 crore.

Separate cases were also filed over arson and looting at the district council building and the Khulna Press Club. The press club case cited damages amounting to Tk 95.81 lakh following the August 5 incident.
Public Prosecutor Touhidur Rahman Chowdhury Tushar said applications would be submitted to the relevant ministry for withdrawal of the cases once the gazette notification is issued.
“Cases arising out of personal disputes will not fall under the July amnesty,” he said, adding that the killing of the police member would be considered within the scope of the ordinance.