Skip to content

‘ICT special adviser Toby’s tenure not renewed’

Staff Reporter :

The term of British lawyer Toby Cadman as special adviser to the chief prosecutor of the International Crimes Tribunal (ICT) has not been extended, Chief Prosecutor Mohammad Tajul Islam said on Monday.

Talking to reporters at his office on the ICT premises, Tajul Islam said Cadman was appointed to the post on 19 November 2024 for one-year tenure.

Earlier, British human rights activist and investigative journalist David Bergman said in a Facebook post that Cadman had stepped down from the position, adding that he had informed Chief Adviser Muhammad Yunus of his decision, although no reason was mentioned.

Cadman later confirmed the development to the media via WhatsApp, saying he chose to leave the post after completing his initial 12-month term. “I had earlier informed the law adviser and the chief prosecutor and later notified the chief adviser. I was offered a six-month extension, but I decided not to take it and informed the law ministry of my resignation,” he said.

Explaining the government’s position, Chief Prosecutor Tajul Islam said an extension of Cadman’s tenure had initially been considered and that Cadman himself had sought it. However, the law ministry later decided not to proceed with a new agreement as the current government’s term is approaching its end.

Toby Cadman is joint head of the London-based law firm Guernica 37. During previous ICT proceedings related to crimes against humanity committed during the 1971 Liberation War, he had attempted to come to Bangladesh as defence counsel for the accused but was barred at the time.

He returned to Bangladesh following the fall of the Awami League government during the mass uprising on 5 August 2024 and was later appointed special adviser to the ICT chief prosecutor.