‘Arakan Army’ abducts 14 fishermen
Staff Reporter :
Arakan Army has abducted 14 more Bangladeshi fishermen along with two fishing trawlers from the Naf River near Naykshyangdia area of Teknaf in Cox’s Bazar.
The incident took place on Saturday noon when the fishermen were returning from the Bay of Bengal due to bad weather.
Teknaf Upazila administrator (UNO) Sheikh Ehsan Uddin confirmed the matter to the media and said “we are receiving reports that 14 fishermen aboard two trawlers were seized from the Naikhyangdia area today,” he said. “We are looking into the matter.”
UNO added: “Our law-enforcing agencies are already working over the incident in which 12 fishermen, along with their boat, were taken away.”
The abductees persons have been identified as Ali Ahmad, 39, Mohammad Amin, 34, Fazal Karim, 52, Kefayet Ullah, 40, Saiful Islam, 23, Saddam Hossain, 40, Russell, 23, Sowaib, 22, Arif Ullah, 35, Mohammad Mostak, 35, and Nurul Amin, 45 — all residents of Shah Porir Dwip.
Over the issue, Sajed Ahmed, director of the Kayukkhali Boat Owners’ Association, said rough weather had forced some trawlers to return to shore early Sunday.
“At that time, the Arakan Army took away two of our trawlers with 14 crew members. Such incidents are spreading fear among fishermen and traders. Government support is urgently needed,” he said.
Trawler owners Syed Alam of Teknaf’s Ward No. 1 and Faridul Alam of Deil Para confirmed that repeated kidnappings had left fishermen in extreme anxiety.
Earlier on Saturday noon, the insurgents had taken 12 fishermen returning from the sea near Naikhyangdia.
Earlier, on Aug 12, five fishermen from Shah Porir Dwip were abducted in a similar manner and have yet to be released.
Since December last year, the Arakan Army has seized 211 Bangladeshi fishermen from the Naf River and the Bay of Bengal. The Border Guard Bangladesh has so far managed to secure the release of 189 fishermen and 27 boats.
